There are lots of slow cooker recipes available. Below you will find a few of my favourites, all of which have been handed down from generation to generation.
I use an all clad slow cooker, but there are many makes and models available.
- 500g skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons flour, seasoned with black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 2 to 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 trimmed leek, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Knorr Chicken Stockpot, dissolved in 400mls boiling water
- 1 dessertspoon fresh thyme leaves
Dice the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and toss thoroughly in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a non- stick pan and brown the chicken. Add all of the remaining ingredients and the chicken to the slow cooker and mix well. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low 7-8 hours. Stir well and serve with creamy mashed potato and green beans.
Add a tablespoon of crème fraiche or double cream and finish with a few chopped chives.
Slow Cooked Beef Lasagne
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for greasing
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 15g dried mixed herbs
- 80g tomato puree
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 15g gravy granules, used to thicken the sauce during cooking
- 1 packet dried lasagne sheets
Cheese sauce ingredients:
- 1 heaped teaspoon dried English mustard powder
- 250g cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g butter or margarine
- 75g plain flour
- 800ml-1 ltr semi skimmed milk
Place the garlic, onion, minced beef, dried mixed herbs, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, stock cube and gravy granules into a large mixing bowl. Season and stir thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
To make the cheese sauce, start by melting the butter or margarine in a suitable saucepan. Add the flour and beat well to form a roux. Cook over a gentle heat for a few minutes stirring continuously. Gradually add the milk to the roux stirring continuously until you get a smooth sauce. Sprinkle on the mustard powder, add a touch of salt and pepper and allow to cook over a low heat for a further 10 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent the sauce from sticking. Remove from the heat, add half of the cheese and stir until melted.
Start building the lasagne by placing a layer of meat sauce on the base of the stoneware bowl. Add a couple of large spoons of the cheese sauce.
Cover the sauce and meat mixture with an even, single layer of lasagne sheets. Break larger sheets as necessary to cover the sauce. Repeat this until you have four layers of pasta and sauce. Finish with a layer of the cheese sauce.
Place the slow cooker pot into the heating base. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
If you have a grill facility on your main oven, remove the pot from heating base and cover with foil, allow it to stand for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the lasagne. Brown under a hot grill for no more than 5 minutes.
Braised Salmon & Spring Vegetables with Crème Fraiche and Chives
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100g frozen peas
- 100g green beans, chopped into small pieces
- 15 baby new potatoes, cut in half lengthways
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1 cm cubes roughly
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 200g crème fraiche
- 300g salmon, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place all of the vegetables, olive oil, stock cube and soy sauce into the stoneware, season and warm on the hob. Once warmed, place into the heating base and put on the lid. Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally, or on high setting for 2-3 hours.
At the 4-hour mark add the tarragon, cubed salmon and stir well, turn up the heat to high and place the lid back on.
Cook for a further 30-40 minutes, or until the salmon is just cooked, do not overcook.
Finally remove the stoneware from the heating base and stir in the crème fraiche and chives.